Fri 16 Mar 2012
I wish to invite you to a meeting to discuss the structure of Swordplay’12. Aim is to confirm date / venue / program and other important pertinent details. As we are Brisbane (or close to Brisbane) based organisations, Swordplay’12 needs to work for us first and foremost.
I propose Saturday 24th March 1.00pm – 4.00pm at The Coffee Club, Wilston. Happy to hear of alternative date/venue for the meeting.
The agenda includes:
Date: One of three weekends will be selected pending Scouts Qld training program promulgation April 2012 (in order of preference)
- 7th – 8th September
- 14th – 16th September
- 31st August – 2nd September (Father’s Day weekend)
Venue: Baden Powell Scout Park Samford (Lower Conference area) plus Samford Community Hall in case of inclement weather that weekend.
Workshop: Puck Curtis La Destreza # Intent is to have an invited overseas guest present their material in the first year (2011) and provide a follow-up presentation plus ‘Master Class’ for those who wish to consolidate their understanding of what was presented (2012) before choosing another guest for 2013.
Cost: $40.00 per day participants (this rises to $60.00 if you wish to register on the day). Spectators free (excepting no viewing of workshop).
Program: ). Focus is to combine the best from the last two years into one balanced program.
Skill-at-Arms key recommendations:
- Assistant Marshalls to support Combat Marshalls for adjudicating bouts.
- Each School will be asked to provide 1 x Marshall to assist in the running of the event, ensure impartiality and that their member’ s interests are being looked after .
- We hold the Tournament Rehearsal 2 weeks before the event proper ensuring everyone who says their officiating actually do turn up and practice.
- Look at scoring being ‘first to 5 points’ but time limited to 4min otherwise Sudden Death in-order-to:
- allow more competitors to take part (I’m looking at approx. 36 pers in Sword Tournament alone next year plus I’m hearing possibly 16 in Longsword), and
- best compromise between balancing offensive swordplay with defensive swordplay in that no matter how you approach the bout at ‘5’ it’s life or death.
- Open Weapon being random draw between finalists rather than ‘1 fights 1′ and ‘2 fights 2′ etc.
- We’ll put out a short video on Skill-at-Arms: Conduct & Scoring so everyone can have a short 4min video of just how it all works start of next year. On ACA Website.
Formal Dinner: Samford Valley Pub on Saturday Night.
Misc: We’ll ask for our coffee van back.
No Responses to “ Swordplay 2012 First Planning Meeting ”
Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.